Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Patan

Yesterday we had time to briefly visit Patan. An old palace of one of the ruling king's in Katmandu, (time line 1600's I believe.) Incredible architecture! I could stay there for days and stare at the details in the carvings on the door posts. In fact I did stare in wonder at one door lintel for half an hour. Running my fingers over the carving and pondering. My girl's said to me, 'Dad what are you doing?' In response I said to them that I was wondering at the person who carved this door post for the king. Was he young or old? Was he married? Did he have achildren? Did he have a passion for his carving? Did he ever stand back at the end of the day and say to himself, this is a good work? My girls just furled their youthful brows and said, 'Ahhh.....yah, O.K. dad.' -But it was O.K. that they said that. A long time ago the children of the craftsman who carved the door lintel probably said the same thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ken! Sounds captivating! It's fascinating to start seeing such details and wonder what fertile ground such artisanship sprang from. And you would have a fine appreciation of the work involved and what they could achieve using tools vastly different than what is used today.
The last several postings have had amazing pictures. Thanks for that but please don't be burdened with pictures for each post even though I eagerly blow them up & scan & compare. And WHERE is Bonnie? Oops, sorry that just slipped out.
Catch you (or someone)later!
Valerie

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

Ken, you're in Kathmandu long enough that you could go visit the palace again a few more times--maybe without impatient daughters.