Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Another House Fellowship

It's amazing how quickly things happen around here. All at once you're in the courtyard sitting and enjoying fellowship. The next you're up and out of the compound, off to a home fellowship. Such was the case for me yesterday (Feb. 26). But before this happened I was with Ramesh, an interpreter, putting the final touches on a draft for an application to the Kathmandu Mobile Bible School, and also their goals and vision statment. Feeling a little out of my waters, I plugged ahead in prayer, soon finding wisdom and words being put down on paper. Thank-you Lord! I hope the final revision will be agreeable to Pastors Raju and Noel. (Blessings to all who hold us in prayer. Your intercession is having a far greater impact on the Kingdom coming here on this very day.)
And so back to the sudden change in plans. Pastor Raju came and asked if I was ready to leave for fellowship. (I wasn't even aware this was on my agenda.) I was quick to say 'yes'. The next moment, we were off down a dusty narrow back alley. We came out onto Ring Road (the main road encircling the city.) We walked past a full mile-long line of taxis waiting for gas. Most of the drivers were not there. I asked Raju why the cars were abandoned. He told me the line will not move for three days. The few drivers that I saw stayed to keep watch over the others' taxis. They burn old tires to keep warm at night, talk, laugh, and drink tea. I'm humbled by their patience. I recall a Nepali expression 'KAY GAR NHEY', meaning "What can you do?' This is life in Nepal these days. We continued down another narrow dusty alley, past some tiny vending shops (you wonder if they get enough business to survive) and over the river via a suspension bridge. Crazily enough, a motorcyle approached us - on the bridge! I would love to get a picture of this, but he's not slowing down. We hug the steel support cables as he whizzes by; I feel his mirror just brush my backside. He's by us, the bridge stops swaying. Madness, I say. My brothers say 'KAY GAR NHEY'.
We continue up one side of the valley following a rocky stone path. The heat and the incline are having an impact. My throat is parched; I'll have water at house fellowship. We travel for some time yet. Passing dried-up rice fields, and a garbage dump. The poor are picking through the refuse, searching for bits of plastic bags or bottles, scavenging old clothes to sell or maybe wear if they're less holey than what they presently wear. It saddens my heart to see these people have to resort to this. I'm told that this is their existence. This is as good as it gets. The wind blows the stench in our direction. I smell sewage and rotting food. My stomach turns. We are soon by it and approach a wall of buildings, like a cliff jutting up out of a plain. We take an inclining street up, then a steep staircase. We enter an apartment and up five flights to the top. Our host welcomes us and hands us each a glass of cold water. The believers gather quickly. We sit in a small 10-by-10 room that serves as the host family bedroom and living room. We sing a few songs acapella, pray intensely for a few minutes, then pastor Raju shares a word. All of this is in Nepali; it feels so foreign and yet the Spirit brings a harmony that makes my eyes tear. After fellowship, Raju tells us to pray for the family- in particular the mother who has had back pain for three months. One of our Kathmandu sisters prays intensely for her with a result that her face takes on a less pain-filled countenance. Was she healed? I didn't find out, but she seemed at peace. The mother then arose to give us tea and biscuits and hot, dried noodles. We chat a few more minutes, then we break fellowship and go our way. We take the long trek back in the cool evening, with this long experience just whirling through my mind. All of this is changing my mind and heart. I don't think I'll come back the same. (posted by Ken - pictures to follow)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredibly descriptive writing! With the help of your photos, I can almost get the "feeling" of being there..the sights, sounds, smells...what an experience, especially for the girls...as you mention, I'm sure it will change all of you.
Love to all, Tammy

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

I found this after I saw the pictures and now I understand the photos better. I can't imagine a motorcycle going over that bridge. Wow! And Ken, I agree with Tammy. You're a good writer (well, you could use a few paragraph breaks--it would make for easier reading)!

How many people gathered in that 10 x 10 room?