Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My impressions:
I find people here very open. For instance, they are not afraid to tell us very bluntly how big our noses are! They LOVE having their pictures taken. Surprisingly, they do enjoy teaching us their Nepali language but sometimes (the younger boys) getting frustrated with our pronunciation. They enjoy playing with the Lego we brought - probably never saw it before.
The one downer so far - washing clothes by hand!!!!!!! Very frustrating but I think brings you closer to God! Teehee!
I cannot believe how the meat is left out on the counter, open to the flies AND left in the sun. I don't think I will be having meat here anytime soon. *sigh* I will have to wait till I get back to Canada.
My morning experiences:
Every morning, I'm woken up by this rooster-that does not even know when to stop crowing, dogs barking, the blaring of obnoxious, out-of-tune horns, and the tinkling of the 'ice-cream' man's bells trying to awaken his dead ancestors. But as I lay in bed, I finally really wake up to the sounds of worship.
I'M CRAVING CANADIAN CHEESE & CRACKERS!! SOMEONE PLEASE SEND IT BY MAIL!
(posted by Vanessa)

4 comments:

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

Vanessa! Thank you for giving your impressions. I love them! Big noses, eh? Apparently my name, Debbie, in Cantonese, sounds very close to "Big Nose." Not fun but funny.

Lego? Did you bring it for the kids you'd meet? What a cool thing to take! And virtually indestructible.

Washing clothes by hand is NOT fun. I hope you brought along some good hand cream. And I'm with you on the meat. ICK! LOL at the sounds you wake up to. The sounds of worship would be awesome though, I think.

Anonymous said...

HI Vanessa,

Here is Ingrid and Mitch. Cool how you expressed your opinion RE: Katmandu. Let me ask you: Are you going through a Culture shock? That's good...it helps you to understand immigrants when you come back to Canada. You will be more sympathetic towards them and it might give you a future job. You might have to learn 2 0r 3 languages. Love you. Hang in there
U. Mitych says; Don't forget to take care of Mom. Cheers, Ingrid and Mitch.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you Vanessa! I missed you (& your Mom)in any of the pictures so far. You'll have to make sure we get to see the rest of the family sometime in the near future. Are you keeping a journal? It sounds like you have lots of interesting impressions of your Nepal adventure to enter up to this point. If someone has a rooster, does that mean you guys can get fresh eggs nearby? (for me if there is a rooster that usually means there are hens and if there are hens then there's gotta be eggs!). Thinking on what you wrote about the meat, I certainly hope you can get eggs!:):):)
Looking forward to your future posts. Take care, Vanessa.
Blessings upon you,
Valerie & Kaz

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanessa,
Great to hear your version of life in Nepal. We saw open meat counters like that in Mexico...I understand what you are saying! Tell your sisters to write soon as well! Terrific pictures so far...keep them coming. The boys say "Hi" to all.
Love Aunt Tammy