Saturday, February 23, 2008

Difficult Times

February 12/08. We've been here one week and, I think, adjusting quite well. Our blog/intenet logging is the most difficult in terms of time. The reason being that the power is cut off twice in the day and although we're told there is a schedule we can't seem to figure out exact times. Candelight dinners, although romantic, are certainly not so when one has to prepare the food by the same. As some may have heard through other people we've contacted, there is an underlying tension that I feel as I journey through the city. As I have talked with people here they have said the unrest in the south of the country is the main reason for inflation skyrocketing. For those not aware, different factions of the Maoists are fighting each other for control of southern Nepal. To say the least the factions are not united. The southern people are the ones who suffer most, many are hurt in the crossfire. As the Maoists do have six members in the present interim parliament, the factions occasionly come to negotiate with their counterparts. With little result they go back to the south and exert the only tactic for getting attention. Roadblocks. They threaten the transport drivers with violence to their families or death if they transport goods. The Nepal army has stepped in to guide convoys through but the threats seem to have had impact. So what does that mean here in Katmandu. Inflating prices for groceries. Cooking propane and gasoline/diesel very expensive and hard to find. Lineups at pumps are a kilometre long. When you get to the pump, if there is any to be had, you are limited to the amount of litres. A few of the locals hope the mid-April elections will bring about peace and stability. Most have their doubts. Until then Katmandu will struggle through, and I, I'll go have some toast and butter. (Hmmm....I wonder if I can market this $4.25 half pound of butter on the stock market as a valuable commodity.) Until the next post,-if the power is on. (Posted by Ken.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ken! Greetings to you and all the clan/extended community. Thanks for the identification. It helps. God bless your sensitivity and awareness of the bigger picture. I pray the Lord keeps you all safe and out of harm's way. Hope and expectations met seems like a good prayer for me to offer for the people of Kathmandu & Nepal.
Democracy and the kind of life we lead in Canada is quite a precious commodity. It occured to me reading your post that what you describe is probably how most peoples of the earth have lived their lives for millenia - the stability etc. we have here is the exception.
God's grace & mercy have given us immeasurable good, good things. Humility and gratitude on our part cannot be overexpressed.
I miss you guys because you are not physically here, but, curiously and wonderfully, I am more connected, in a way, than I've been for a while in Winnipeg because of the blogs! Ain't technlogy amazing!? It is turning out to be a decent substiute for Bonnie's and my marathon lunches/get-togethers! Imagine!
Things are getting hectic at work with Colin away, me having to rearrange my office because the new flat screen monitor won't allow my CPU to stay where I've had it for years , bother! (see how trivial concerns in the west can be?) Plus Kazimierz and I just booked a get-away to a place not far outside Puerto Vallarta. We leave on March 1st for a 7 night stay. Plus, I may even get to take a quick trip back to Nova Scotia sometime in the next 5-6 weeks as Bonnie, you were urging me to do. And thanks for keeping insisting that I do this, Bonnie. Even now with one trip set and another one trying to take shape I am so conflicted and so reluctant to let myself go because there is so much work left to do at work and at home because of being so low for so long with the apnea. Sigh! Trust and obey?! I'm trying!
Will keep you posted:):):).
Love, blessings and prayers
Valerie

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

I'm supposed to be cleaning the bathrooms in the house. Instead I'm reading your blog. Is there any contest between which is preferable? Nope.

No electricity must certainly pose challenges. For how long is it off each time?

I appreciate learning more about the overall situation in Nepal, Ken. Thank you for that elaboration. Nathan mentioned on Sunday that there was political unrest and that we need to be praying for your safety so I am. Well, I am anyway. And praying for our friends there as well.

Speaking of friends, Bonnie, have you managed to contact Rishi yet? Did you have room for the things I sent for him?

Ken, you're going to have to learn to like toast without butter. That is quite the price. Sheesh!

You have another post so I'm off to read it.

Hugs!