Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Celebration.

The family awoke at 5:30 A. M. Sunday morning. It wasn't on account of the neighbors roosters crowing, goats bleeting, dogs barking, or even the water delivery truck. We awoke for the Easter sunrise service at 6:00 A. M. , enjoying prayer, worship and praise of the victory and freedom that Jesus attained for us. Incredibly we weren't tired and the white tea and biscuits after the service were enjoyable. We were anticipating the 7:30 start of the 7-mile march to an open field near Shahid Gate. The open field (Tundkhel) is the central fair grounds in the middle of Kathmandu. Raju and Shyem told us that we would first assemble at a main artery in Lalitpur, (Jawalakel Circle) and join a few other churches. About a third of the Kathmandu Vineyard participated in the service and march. The neighbours, most who are Hindu, came out of their homes to hear the sound of guitar, drum, and song. Our smiling faces were a testimony to them of the joy we have in worshipping a living God.
We soon arrived at Jawalakel to find 10 to 15 other chuches already assembled. Within minutes 10 or 11 other churches arrived, all of us joyfully singing and praising the Lord. We were overflowing into the streets, beginning to congest traffic. The traffic control policeman at the centre of the circle began to have a panicked look in his eyes. Within minutes we were beginning our march to Tundkel, and much to the relief of the policeman. The joy on our smiling faces melted many a stern face. Strangely one street fellow came up to me and shook my hand. He stood amongst us for a few minutes listening to the songs. A contented smile came across his face, then he turned and disappeared into the crowd. Shortly after, a security guard in front of a store looked me in the eye, stood at attention and saluted me. I smiled and saluted back. He then left his post and joined the march. He walked with us for about a kilometre and soon fell back to another church group following behind us. Did he sense the presence of the Lord amonst us? Possibly. But for a few brief moments he had forgotten the hardness of life and was joyful. As we walked over the bridge by the river, I turned around a saw that the line had grown. It was now over a mile long. More churches joined and we hadn't even arrived at the field.
(posted by Ken)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey everybody!
this is chelsea vanessa's friend!
sounds like easter was pretty exciting over there!
I think it's really cool what ur all doing!
I hope God continues to work through u guys.
well i'm going 2 try 2 keep up to date with this awsome blog!
chelsea

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

Do you know how many churches and how many people participated? My friend had told me last week that he expected about 30,000. That sure seems like a lot of Christians for a Hindu nation! It sounds like it was a pretty awesome time.

kathy said...

Hello all
Wow very interesting advents happening for all of you. God is good.Just wanted to say hello and I'm enjoying your journey through Nepal along with you. My favorite picture is when the girls are washing clothes, you don't look like your enjoying that much however it is a funny picture. I'll continue praying for you. Ma Gods wisdom and glory be on you always.
Love Kathy & Kristen

Anonymous said...

sounds absolutely wonderful!!
mercy

nate said...

rather more well attended than our walk of the cross, though that doesn't say anything about how awesome it was this year...

Anonymous said...

Hi Noble Lights - you have been in our prayers. I've been calling little Jael "little noblite" and thought I should do the same for you. But then I realized you are truly being "Lights". May God continue to bless you with safety, a hard stomach and much joy and peace as you serve Him in Nepal.

I was washing my dishes at work today when I thought of you - would you leave the water running the way I was? Would you let clean water just run down the drain? I'm thinking not. Your stories are causing me to see the blessings we so freely and abundantly have here in North America and to consider how to be a better steward.

Love and prayers,

Jo-Anne

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken and family. Ken, I will pray for you as often as I can. I will walk with you all day and pray for you at night. Together we will turn our burdens and joy over to him.We will delight in him all the days of our life.1 minute ,1 hour, 1 day. All the years we have Known him, he has blessed us.
Peace and joy
Dean