Wednesday, June 25, 2008

There And Back Again.

We've been back home for one week now. Enjoying the luxury of water - hot water at that! Electricity, with no outages. Every kind of food you can think of. And fresh clean air- lots of it! How blessed we are! Although we're enjoying all these things and the pleasure of our brothers and sisters here, I find myself saddened at the fact of not seeing my other brothers in Kathmandu and sharing their burdens. God wrecked my heart for my Nepali brothers and, in a strange way, I feel a part of my heart will never return from there. It's all a little confusing - not being able to feel whole. I find myself asking the same question Frodo Baggins asked himself at the end of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, "How do you pick up the pieces of your past life when you've journeyed through so much hardship?" Oddly enough, I feel that our journeys in Kathmandu are not over. All the family said they weren't ready to leave, that somehow something feels not completed. So with these thoughts, we're seeking God on a return to Nepal for a much longer term. Who knows when that will be, though?

In the meantime, I have to integrate myself back into this Western society. And when I get the chance, hopefully I can share with others the lessons God has accomplished in these last four months. This may be the last entry for this blog, or in two years, or three years, more entries will be posted. God knows! (Posted by Ken.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Give yourselves a little time to adjust to the pace of material Western society. God knows there are physical and spiritual needs in EVERY corner of the planet - just a simple (Ha!) matter of figuring out what and where is His calling for you - if you have a choice, and "blooming where you are planted", whether you have a choice or not!

Thanks so much for doing this blog - we have felt connected with you, following your adventures week by week. Blessings on all of you!

Nancy

Ellen said...

i'm so glad that you kept the dog!
i know the feeling of not liking your stuff and wanting to live simply (but when I lived with you, I thought you guys did a great job at that already!). the first time i returned from a trip and felt like that - i challenged myself to not purchase anything unnecessary for 6 months (obviously, food and toothbrushes are necessities) and then after that, to try to purchase those things I wanted from thrift shops, 'giving them a second life'. It's made me take better care of what I own and not throw it away just because it is damaged. i think that we need people to challenge our materialistic culture, and you are at a prime place to do so, because you are from this culture but having stepped out for a while you can glance at it from an outsider's view. i think we all need that. what are the steps you are taking to do so- because i would love that challenge from you!